Acne affects almost everyone at one time or another. However, if you’re experiencing frequent and severe breakouts, you need help to avoid the redness, soreness, and embarrassment characteristic of acne. In Fremont and Milpitas, CA, the Center for Dermatology Cosmetic & Laser Surgery offers effective acne solutions. As the patient, you will be an active partner in your treatment plan to optimize your results.
Reasons for acne
Most people think of acne as a teen condition with its typical red whiteheads, blackheads, and pustules affecting the face, neck, check, and back. However, Harvard Health reports that adult acne, which affects both men and women ages 25 and up, is very common and just as distressing.
Whatever the age, all acne involves excess oil, or sebum, which clogs hair follicles. The problem can lead to cysts, deep scarring, and permanent areas of hyperpigmentation. Harvard Health adds that a fatty diet, poor skin hygiene, stress, hormonal fluctuations (during pregnancy and menopause), and cosmetics exacerbate acne blemishes.
Treating your acne
After a consultation with your dermatologist in Fremont or Milpitas, CA, you’ll receive a step by step care plan to manage your acne.
This care plan may include:
- Daily facial hygiene (washing gently with an acne wash)
- Frequent changing of hats and bed linens
- Nightly make-up removal
- Drinking water throughout the day
- Avoiding all tobacco products
- Applying topical tretinoin to keep pores open and free of oil and dead skin cells
- Taking oral birth control pills or Accutane for severe acne
- Antibiotic therapy for infection
- Daily application of sunscreen
- In-office removal of cysts
- Salicylic acid cleansers to exfoliate
Also, please avoid squeezing your acne blemishes. This only increases redness and leads to infection.
Stay with it
With the help of one of our four skin doctors at Center for Dermatology Cosmetic & Laser Surgery, you can have clearer skin. Acne doesn’t have to control your appearance or self-esteem, and our two offices can help. Contact our location in Fremont by dialing (510-797-4111), and our Milpitas location by dialing (408-957-7676).